Sunday, June 28, 2020

eleven years

Well, it now takes both hands and one toe to show how old you are. : )

I feel like you are naturally making the switch to ditch elementary school and move on to middle school. You and a friend have started a YouTube channel to record your skateboarding progress (both skateboarding and YouTube seem pretty grown up to me). And because everyone knows that to be a good YouTuber you need "merch", you guys created sweatshirts (currently in the process of being made now). You've also been putting thought into your style for next year and talking things over with Andrew since he happens to also be thinking of making a style change next year. And to top it off, you're a night owl who loves video games and would sleep all day if we'd let you. You also have a phone now, so I believe you're 100% ready to be eleven and heading off to sixth grade.

Your birthday fell during the COVID-19 pandemic. When it first hit and we were all asked to stay home, people were doing drive by birthdays. People were lining up with decorated cars to say happy birthday out the car window and then head home. Thankfully we're in phase 2 now, so you were able to have a couple friends over. It was still odd, and we had to remind you all about social distancing and were sure to have individual snacks and treats as much as possible. We also made everyone stay outside/in the garage so there would be fresh air. And I made sure to get your slice of ice cream cake out so you'd blow out the candles on just your section instead of the whole thing. Which really has always been a little gross, but until now it has been what everyone did. But man, times they are a changin'!


You still love soccer (another thing messed up by COVID) and you are still a kind kid. The latest example I have is when you went to see if a guy needed help after tipping his canoe. He was a large man, and there was literally nothing you could've done to help him, but you hopped on your paddle board (without a life jacket because "mom, it's just right here and he might need help") and headed out to check on him. : ) You still also like to joke and try to trick people. The problem is now we never believe you because you joke/trick all.the.time. Seriously. All the time. Even things that don't make sense - like when dad asked how practice went and you told him you made all your shots except 2 out of 2. So we thought the joke was that you didn't make any but told us in a way that sounded like you did make them. But your joke was that you shot about 10 and made them all. Or maybe all except two? To be honest I'm not sure which part was the joke. But you crack yourself up, and I think that's pretty important right now. Because what good is life if you can't laugh! Especially with things being so unknown and a little scary with the coronavirus trying it's best to hang around.

Oh. We're the same shoe size now. Dude! You're also quite proud of the fact that you're no longer the perfect arm rest for me because you're too tall. I've still got you by quite a bit though. My guess is I have until you're 14 before you pass me. And I plan to enjoy every minute of it! : )


I love your sense of adventure. And I (mostly) love that you want me to enjoy the adventures with you. Here's to another awesome year!

Love, Mom